Sunday, May 1, 2011

The End of the Beginning

Well after we got back from Northland we had 2 days left in New Zealand. Wednesday April 6 was pretty uneventful. Whitney and I went to the mall and watched a movie but other than that, nothing really happened. The next day, however, was one of the most exciting days ever. I woke up knowing that it was the day I would hear back about 2nd round interviews for internships (well really, I hardly slept a wink that night…) After staring at my computer for hours waiting for that email, I decided if I kept my mind off it, maybe it would come a little faster. So I cleaned the entire downstairs of our house, took a shower, and got out the guitar to play for a while. When I opened my computer to look up chords to a song, I noticed I had an email. Yep, you guessed it. It was about an internship. I GOT ONE! I’ll be teaching 4th grade at Riverside Elementary in West Jordan, Utah in Jordan District this fall.
When I got that email, I had an overwhelming feeling of relief and I knew that there was a reason I’m supposed to be at that school and not at the other school I had initially asked for. It was such a great feeling to know that I was going where I’m supposed to be going. I know I’m meant to be with those kids and I can’t wait to meet them. It’s going to be an incredible year, and I’m excited to see what’s in store for me.
When I told Dr. Jacobs the news, he told me that he was never worried about me to begin with. He is great. I’m really glad he was my director here. I really became close with him and Linda and I look forward to keeping in touch with them and getting advice from him from time to time.
Later that evening, Derrick took Whitney and me to get gelato at Mission Bay in a super expensive gelato place. It was a ton of fun and I’m going to miss him a lot. After we got home, Whitney and I went over to Natalia and Heber’s house. They had put together the cutest gift bags for us full of kiwi-related gifts. They are so sweet. I am missing their family already!
It was kind of weird thinking that it was my last day in New Zealand. I don’t think it really sunk in, and it probably won’t for a while. Thinking about it being the end though, I didn’t get as depressed as I thought I would. I know that this trip to New Zealand isn’t the end. Just because I’m leaving the country now, doesn’t mean it’s over. I’m taking with me all the knowledge and experiences I’ve gained here and I’ll be using everything I learned in my classroom at Riverside Elementary next year. Those 4th graders are going to learn so much about New Zealand, so many songs with that little ukulele, and they will really be blessed by what I’ve taken away from my time here in New Zealand. Not only that, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be back in this country one day. I’m planning on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment